Skip to main content

Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

One thing I am extremely proud of my post stroke self for is the way I have been able to adapt and overcome obstacles rather than just say 'I can't'. 

I will still go for a 'girly day' such as shopping with a friend; only now its one shop, maybe two, and a sit down, normally for a drink, then I can usually handle a third shop and then its home for a rest. 

I have had to learn my body's new limitations and work around them. I'm not deluded enough to think I'll be signing up for the London Marathon (I wouldn't of been in a rush to do that before my stroke let's be honest) but I am confident that I will not have to miss out or turn down too many activities that I would previously have enjoyed. 

I still keep on top of the housework, when I am motivated enough to, even if it does mean unloading the dishwasher using a perching stool instead of standing up and bending down. I can still prepare a meal, not brilliantly but that's not because of my stroke. ðŸ˜‚

There are days when I have to admit defeat and ask Lee for help, or I have to turn down a last minute invite somewhere because I haven't planned and conserved enough energy for it, but sadly those events are unavoidable. 

I'm no longer embarrassed to have a  Blue Badge in the car window; because I am disabled and I need all the help I can get to enable me to live as normal a life as possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Methods for Recovery

  When I was first visited by my Occupational Therapist she gave me a list of activities and exercises I could do to improve the strength in my affected hand. She gave me some resistance bands and some 'Theraputty' and a page of instructions and left me to it.  I got bored of these incredibly quickly and started searching for ways I could incorporate these exercises into different activities that would hold my interest for longer.  It was Lee who noticed an advert on Facebook for diamond art pictures, he thought that the level of concentration and fine motor skills it required would help with my spasticity on my affected side. He was right, I was instantly hooked. For weeks I sat in bed with a tray on my lap putting thousands of tiny gem stones on pictures and creating beautiful (if a little wonky) works of art... I mean I'm not about to frame them and put them on the walls in my front room any time soon but they were fun to do.  I also took an interest in colouring ...

Happy New Year - 2022

Firstly, I want to apologise for the lack of posts for the last few months; I have really struggled to pull myself out of the  rut I was stuck in if I am completely honest. Secondly, and most importantly, I came to wish each and every one of my readers a very happy New Year; may 2022 bring you all health, wealth and happiness.   

It's all my fault

  As soon as my diagnosis hit I was inundated with letters and calls for appointments with various doctors and specialists.  A stroke in someone so young raises red flags for things such as small holes in the heart which can allow clots to pass through and end up causing a stroke. So ultimately the hospital will do every test possible, cover every base, until they find something that may potentially show up as a reason for stroke.  Now, as I mentioned before, I've got a really irrational fear of hospitals and anything related to them, needles mainly. So this wasn't good news for me.  The first things I had done were simple things, I was fitted with a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours, after that I had a heart monitor for 7 days to check for an irregular heartbeat, I had endless blood tests, I had 2 echocardiograms, I had ultrasounds on my neck and chest...At one point I was visiting the hospital at least once a week for something or other.  However, in my case...