Skip to main content

Lockdown Life

 I know I'll be in the minority here but I absolutely loved lockdown. 

For me it meant that it wasn't just me missing out on going shopping, to the pub and visiting family and friends because no-one was allowed to. It took a massive amount of pressure to 'get better' off. 

I had the time I needed to recover and process what was happening to me at my own pace, like I mentioned before the only inconvenience was the fact that the waiting lists for appointments at the hospital was humongous! 

I had some familiar faces do doorstep visits; my friend from work came bearing gifts which my little work family had contributed to, to wish me well, my best friend sent gifts in the post and a lovely friend of mine popped in to sit in the garden whenever she was able to. I felt incredibly loved. 

Because Lee's job is classed as essential he needed to go to work for the most part but they were incredibly understanding and allowed him to come home and check on me every couple of hours and let him have time off whenever I needed him to come with me to appointments etc.  

I had all the time in the world to re-learn the skills I had lost and think up new methods to get shit done when my long term issues got in my way. 

The only downside was not physically being able to see many people, when my parents are in the UK they are about 30 mins drive away from me, my Dad's job means that in a single day he can be in the presence of hundreds of people and for that reason he was reluctant to come and see me as often because he was worried he might pass something on to me whilst I was unwell, my Mum had to shield at home herself so she couldn't come and see me, this meant we spent an awful lot of time on the phone, and she became my go to person for everything. If I had good news I phoned her, if I was sad or angry or annoyed I rang her, if I just needed a chat she was there; every minute of every day & for that I will be forever grateful. 

Lee's Mum sold her house before Lockdown kicked in with the intention of moving out to their holiday home in Spain, but obviously restrictions prevented her from flying. She moved in with us and for almost 6 months my recovery was held back because I simply couldn't adjust to an extra person and an extra dog in the house. I'd got a place where I was just keeping my head above water and then the goalposts moved again and I couldn't take myself off to bed in the middle of the day or get up at 4 because I couldn't sleep, because I had someone else to consider. Just before Christmas my MIL decided to rent her own house because she was unsure how long she would have to remain in the UK for and I was able to settle into a new routine shortly afterwards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Methods for Recovery

  When I was first visited by my Occupational Therapist she gave me a list of activities and exercises I could do to improve the strength in my affected hand. She gave me some resistance bands and some 'Theraputty' and a page of instructions and left me to it.  I got bored of these incredibly quickly and started searching for ways I could incorporate these exercises into different activities that would hold my interest for longer.  It was Lee who noticed an advert on Facebook for diamond art pictures, he thought that the level of concentration and fine motor skills it required would help with my spasticity on my affected side. He was right, I was instantly hooked. For weeks I sat in bed with a tray on my lap putting thousands of tiny gem stones on pictures and creating beautiful (if a little wonky) works of art... I mean I'm not about to frame them and put them on the walls in my front room any time soon but they were fun to do.  I also took an interest in colouring ...

Happy New Year - 2022

Firstly, I want to apologise for the lack of posts for the last few months; I have really struggled to pull myself out of the  rut I was stuck in if I am completely honest. Secondly, and most importantly, I came to wish each and every one of my readers a very happy New Year; may 2022 bring you all health, wealth and happiness.   

It's all my fault

  As soon as my diagnosis hit I was inundated with letters and calls for appointments with various doctors and specialists.  A stroke in someone so young raises red flags for things such as small holes in the heart which can allow clots to pass through and end up causing a stroke. So ultimately the hospital will do every test possible, cover every base, until they find something that may potentially show up as a reason for stroke.  Now, as I mentioned before, I've got a really irrational fear of hospitals and anything related to them, needles mainly. So this wasn't good news for me.  The first things I had done were simple things, I was fitted with a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours, after that I had a heart monitor for 7 days to check for an irregular heartbeat, I had endless blood tests, I had 2 echocardiograms, I had ultrasounds on my neck and chest...At one point I was visiting the hospital at least once a week for something or other.  However, in my case...