Skip to main content

Money Talks - Benefits for Stroke Survivors

Up until recently Lee and I have lived somewhat comfortably, we are by no means wealthy but we both worked full time, Lee fortunately has a decent job that pays reasonably well but, as I mentioned before, my wage was pitiful in relation to the hours I worked, nevertheless,  we were able to eat out or have takeaways as often as we wanted to, never missed a night out, brought designer clothes, shoes and bags and nice cars etc. Remember I said we don't have children so we owe a lot of our disposable income to that. 

That all changed when I got to 6 months post stroke; I received a letter from the council that employs me stating they wouldn't be paying Sick Pay after a certain date, which I knew was coming, I understood that was the protocol. This letter stated that I needed to present the attached form to DWP to 'claim benefits'. 

Shortly after this, money from work stopped coming altogether. And I went from being a completely self sufficient, incredibly independent young lady to being completely dependant on Lee and his income. My circumstances had changed massively -but the bills that needed paying were still the same!

That's were the trouble started. Firstly, if you have never claimed benefits in this country it is an absolute minefield. I genuinely do not understand how some people manage to apply let alone jump through the hoops required to be paid something that you are eligible for.

The first thing I looked into was PIP (Personal Independence Payments). I was clueless when it came to the application process but I'm a natural paperwork queen I can fill a form out with the best of them. But, bare in mind, I was 5 months post stroke and still massively in denial, I was determined I was going to get better and do as much as I could without help. And unknowingly I conveyed this to the really lovely lady at the end of the phone that was conducting my assessment. I was honest, perhaps too honest, if that's even possible and shot myself in the foot, because I used my 'good days' to base my answers on. 

I was awarded the lowest level of PIP possible, and I was eternally grateful for the £300 a month that I needed to cover bills that equated to a lot more than that. 

Next was Universal Credit. I started the application process for myself online, and it asked if I lived alone or with a partner, obviously lee and I live together so I declared this. The next thing I know they are asking for Lee's details, his employer, his income and everything related to it. In fact, he had a telephone interview right at the start, I still haven't had so much as a phone call from them, even though it was me that started the claim.

Anyway, we applied, Lee had a phone interview, to be told that we are entitled to X amount, but Lee's earnings get deducted from that amount which was leaving us with the grand total of £0.00. 

The DWP actually expect a spouse to 'keep' their partner as opposed to treating people as individuals and allowing them to keep their independence. 

I truly believe there needs to be more information out there for people who aren't familiar with the benefits system in this country. 

The lack of support, information and knowledge of what is available isn't even the biggest issue that people like myself and thousands of others face every day, it is the fact that you are immediately assumed to be lying and trying to fiddle the system and it is then up to you as the applicant to prove otherwise. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Methods for Recovery

  When I was first visited by my Occupational Therapist she gave me a list of activities and exercises I could do to improve the strength in my affected hand. She gave me some resistance bands and some 'Theraputty' and a page of instructions and left me to it.  I got bored of these incredibly quickly and started searching for ways I could incorporate these exercises into different activities that would hold my interest for longer.  It was Lee who noticed an advert on Facebook for diamond art pictures, he thought that the level of concentration and fine motor skills it required would help with my spasticity on my affected side. He was right, I was instantly hooked. For weeks I sat in bed with a tray on my lap putting thousands of tiny gem stones on pictures and creating beautiful (if a little wonky) works of art... I mean I'm not about to frame them and put them on the walls in my front room any time soon but they were fun to do.  I also took an interest in colouring ...

Happy New Year - 2022

Firstly, I want to apologise for the lack of posts for the last few months; I have really struggled to pull myself out of the  rut I was stuck in if I am completely honest. Secondly, and most importantly, I came to wish each and every one of my readers a very happy New Year; may 2022 bring you all health, wealth and happiness.   

It's all my fault

  As soon as my diagnosis hit I was inundated with letters and calls for appointments with various doctors and specialists.  A stroke in someone so young raises red flags for things such as small holes in the heart which can allow clots to pass through and end up causing a stroke. So ultimately the hospital will do every test possible, cover every base, until they find something that may potentially show up as a reason for stroke.  Now, as I mentioned before, I've got a really irrational fear of hospitals and anything related to them, needles mainly. So this wasn't good news for me.  The first things I had done were simple things, I was fitted with a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours, after that I had a heart monitor for 7 days to check for an irregular heartbeat, I had endless blood tests, I had 2 echocardiograms, I had ultrasounds on my neck and chest...At one point I was visiting the hospital at least once a week for something or other.  However, in my case...